FACTS FOR HuMANity
* Woman experience more than 4 million physical assaults and rapes because
of their partners and men are victims of nearly 3,000,000 physical assaults.
* Domestic violence is a leading cause of injury to woman more than car
accidents muggings and rapes combined.
*Based on reports from 10 countries 55 to 95% of domestic violence incidents
are never reported to police nongovernmental organizations or shelters.
*Domestic violence victims lose nearly 8,000,000 days of paid work in
the United States alone, the equivalent of 32,000 full-time jobs.
*Survivors of domestic violence Face high rates of depression sleep
disturbances, anxiety flashbacks and other emotional distress.
*One in four women will experience domestic violence in her lifetime.
*Women ages 20 to 24 are at greatest risk of becoming victims of domestic
*Every year more than 3 million children witnessed domestic violence in their
* Every nine seconds in the United States a woman is assaulted or beaten.
* South Carolina ranks second in the nation for women killed by men –
*68% were murdered by a husband, common-law husband, ex-husband, or
*Every day in the United States more than three woman are murdered by the
husbands or boyfriends
*Women are more likely to be killed by an intimate partner then men.
*65% of Domestic Violence homicide victims had separated from their abusers prior
to their death.
* There are 16,800 homicides due to intimate partners violence annually. (1)
BE BRAVE – BREAK THE SILENCE – END DOMESTIC VIOLENCE”